Monday 12 January 2015

Simple Decorated Sugar Cookies

Hi Everyone!
For today's summer holiday activity Ella and I decided to make and decorate sugar cookies. When baking with children baking is not about the end result but more about the experience. Here is how Ella and I made them. 

Sugar Cookies

125grams of Softened Butter
1/2 Cup of Sugar (Castor Sugar if Available)
1 Egg (Large)
1 Tea Spoon of Vanilla Essence
2 Cups of Self Raising Flour (Approximately)

1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (140 Fan Force)
2. Line baking tray with with baking powder
3. Beat butter and sugar untill light and fluffy
4. Add Vanilla Essence & Egg to the fluffy mixture
5.  Slowly sift flour into the cookie mixture until it is a suitable consistency for rolling
6. Sprinkle your bench with flour 
7. Roll the dough mixture to approximately 5mm thick
8. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough
9. Place the cookies onto the lined baking tray
10. Put baking tray into the oven form approximately 10 - 15 minutes 
11. Once baked place on a cooling rack and allow the cookies time to cool before decorating


The Icing

To make the icing I used a recipe on the Chelsea website, except before I added the food coloring I split the mixture into 3 and added a different colour to each.


Decorating
To decorate the cookies I didn't go about and buy anything special, I just used whatever I had in my pantry at the time. 
I let Ella lose on the cookies while I decorated some and as you can see she had a great time ... and made a great mess (...But that is part of the fun, right?).
 Tip - If you don't have piping bags, make your own by filling a snap-lock/sandwich bag up with icing and snip off the corner.


The End Result
 

1 comment: